Over the last 10 years, SEO has changed drastically from being a shady business tactic to a creative utilization of contents, keywords, and technical tactics to gain search engine ranking and increase your visibility to organic traffic.
Many companies who turned to malicious practices in the past were penalized, temporarily taken down, or completely blacklisted from being visible in the SERPs. They have got their lessons and whatever ranking and revenues they obtained in the beginning quickly diminished.
Any company that enters the digital market intending to gain new traffic to their website so that they can earn long-term revenues must refrain from practicing such shady tactics commonly known as Black Hat SEO strategies.
Many reputed SEO Melbourne companies are having professional SEO consultants that can help your website grow without the use of shady practices. One such organization is Australian Internet Marketing. They also apply ethical strategies to make you more visible in the search engines compared to your competitors in the niche market. This gives you a competitive edge and an opportunity to gain better traffic and hence, better revenues.
Shady SEO practices to avoid at all costs
Whether you start new or are old in the business, you are bound to make mistakes and rectify them time and again. The problem arises when you intentionally use black hat tactics to gain quick rankings. This may provide you some success initially but also puts you at the risk of losing your business completely.
To avoid this, you must refrain from using the following shady SEO practices:
- Overuse or stuffing of keywords:
- Don’t make content based on keywords. Instead, write valuable and industry-relevant content and add well-researched keywords naturally.
- By focusing on keywords, you are ignoring what your users care about which is unethical.
- Also, ensure that you don’t stuff up the same keyword again and again in your content. This will affect the keyword density which is quickly recognized by Google algorithms.
- Social bookmarking:
- Keep yourself at a safe distance as far as social bookmarking is concerned.
- Google identifies these links as spam and nullifies its benefit if any.
- You don’t want to end up connecting with a spam link after all.
- Piling up technical errors:
- Failing to fix the pile of technical issues on time could get you a penalty from Google.
- This is because if your website has too many technical errors, the Google algorithm will indicate a lack of valuable content for a good user experience.
- This will lower your search engine ranking.
- Not putting efforts in updating or optimizing existing content:
- Continuous optimization of content is the key to success.
- If you allow your content to sit as it is for too long, it will lose its value even if it is high-quality content to start with.
- References in the content could become outdated or and new research in the field could defy the original thesis that you wrote about in the first place.
- Spam linking:
- Do not link with spam in the name of press releases either.
- It could point towards lower quality and copied content which is against Google SEO rules.
- Using duplicate or plagiarised content:
- Again, the use of content that is copied from another article or web page is strictly against Google rules and you could lose your ranking with this practice.
- Not adding value through new content:
- Apart from updating old content, you should continue adding new valuable content to keep increasing the user experience.
- Your website reader should know that they have thorough subject knowledge and they can rely on you for future developments in the subject.
Absence of internal linking:
- Not referencing your related content is a big mistake.
- The visitors on your website should be able to navigate and learn about the subject matter from the main domain itself.
- This is why linking is crucial to success.
Whenever you feel a doubt creeping in your mind concerning the ethical use of SEO, always ask yourself if what you are creating is adding any value to the user experience or not. Proceed if you feel affirmative about the value addition. Focus on keeping an orderly structure of the on-page SEO content and keep updating the content for accuracy.